The University of Ibadan has nine undergraduate and two postgraduate halls of residence with a total optimum capacity of nearly 5,000. These are as follows:

Master: Professor A. Soyode
Warden: Dr. S.O. Oyetade
Asst. Warden: Dr. R.A. Aderinoye
Asst. Warden: Dr. A.K. Olaifa

Mellanby Hall, the University’s first residential hall, with a capacity for 375 students, was formally opened on 17 November, 1952. It is named after Kenneth Mellanby, first Principal of the University College, Ibadan (1947-1953).

Master: Professor S. Abumere
Warden: Dr. D. Ekpenyong
Asst. Warden: Dr. J.O. Odeyemi
Asst. Warden: Mr. T.A. Eyelade

Tedder Hall, with a capacity for 357 students, is named after Lord Tedder (1890-1967), Marshall of the Royal Air Force and Chancellor of Cambridge University (1950-1967), who formally opened the present site of the University of Ibadan on 17 November, 1952, when the Hall was also formally opened.

Master: Professor G. N. Egbunike
Warden: Dr. RE. Owumi
Asst. Warden: Dr. O.A. Adekunle
Asst. Warden: Dr. M.A.S. Nssien

Kuti Hall has a capacity for 384 students and was formally opened in 1954. It is named after the late Rev. Israel Oladotun Ransome-Kuti (1891-1955), an educationist and musician, who was the first President of the Nigerian Union of Teachers, and a member of the historical Elliot Commission on Higher Education in West Africa (1943-1945). The majority report of the Commission to which he subscribed led to the establishment of the University of Ibadan and of similar institutions of higher education in West Africa.

Master: Professor A. Faniran
Warden: Dr. GA. Adeniran
Asst. Warden: Dr. A.C. Odebode
Asst. Warden:Dr. O. Fagbola

Sultan Belle Hall has a capacity for 250 students and was formally opened in 1962 by the late Sir Albaji Ahmadu Bello (1909-1966). The Hall us named after his great-grandfather, Muhammad Bello (1781- 1837), a scholar, poet, administrator, solider and chief builder of the Sokoto Caliphate.

Mistress: Professor O.M. Onibokun
Warden: Dr. Adenike Emeke
Asst. Warden: Oluyemisi A. Bamgbose
Asst. Warden: Dr. Omolade A. Oladele
Asst. Warden: Mrs. R.A. Babatola

Queen Elizabeth Hall is an undergraduate women’s hall, with a capacity for 426 students. It is named after Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, who visited the University of Ibadan in February 1956 and performed the formal opening ceremony of Hall.

Master: Professor C.E. Famewo (Deceased)
Warden: Dr. S. Kadiri
Asst. Warden: Dr. A.O. Adeyinka
Asst. Warden: Dr. O.B. Shittu
Asst. Warden: Dr. O.F. Fafowora

Alexander Brown Hall is a mixed hall for clinical students. It has a capacity for 300 students. It was opened in 1957, and named in 1971 after the late Professor Alexander Brown, the first Professor of Medicine of the University.

Master: Professor M.E. Aken’Ova
Warden: Dr. O.M. Majaro
Asst. Warden: Dr. A.T.P. Ajuwape
Asst. Warden: Mr. J.O.A. Akintayo

Independence Hall, with a capacity for 562 students, was formally opened in 1961. It is named in commemoration of Nigeria’s attainment of political independence on 1 October, 1960.

Master: Professor A. D. Ologhobo
Warden: Dr. A. Ugwumba
Asst. Warden: Dr. A.O. Ayeni
Asst. Warden: Dr. O.S. Ndekwu
Asst. Warden: Dr. C.V. Abe
Asst. Warden: Dr. S. Maliki
Asst. Warden: Dr. C. Uwakwe

Nnamdi Azikiwe Hall has a capacity for 565 students and was formally opened in 1962. It is named after Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, the first Governor-General of Independent Nigeria, first President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (1963-1966), and Chancellor of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (196 1-1966).

Mistress: Professor (Mrs.) Folashade Akinkugbe
Warden: Dr. (Mrs.) Adebola Adegeye
Asst. Warden: Dr. Edith O. Ajaiyeoba
Asst. Warden: Dr. Fidelma Okwesa
Asst. Warden: Dr. Bunmi Fadina

Idia Hall (the new women’s hall) which is the most recently built hall of residence, was opened during the 1975/76 session as part of Queen’s Hall. It became a full-fledged hall during the 1976/77 session and currently has a capacity for 300 students. It was named after the 15th Century Bini queen who led the Binis to the victorious Battle of Idia, and whose mask, commissioned by her son Oba Esigie, was the symbol for Festac ‘77.


Master: Professor A. Egunyomi
Warden: Dr. E.K. Ewete
Asst. Warden: Dr. T. Olowu
Asst. Warden: Dr. (Mrs.) C.Y. Jeje

Tafawa Balewa Hall is the University’s postgraduate hall of residence with a capacity for 287 research students (men and women). It was opened in 1968 and named after Alhaji Tafawa Balewa, first Prime Minister of Independent Nigeria (1960-1966), and first Visitor of the University of Ibadan as an autonomous institution.

Master: Professor Akin Ojo
Warden: Dr. A.S. Gbadegesin
Asst. Warden: Dr. A.F. Abimbola
Asst. Warden: Mrs. Tola Mosuro
Asst. Warden: Dr. K.A. Owolabi
Asst. Warden: Dr. O.A. Odunola

Obafemi Awolowo Hall is the second postgraduate Hall of residence with a capacity for 303 research students (men and women). It was opened in 1986 under the name Postgraduate Student’s Village. It was, however on the recommendation of the University of Ibadan Students’ Union renamed in 1987 by the University Council, Obafemi Awolowo Hall in honour of the Late Chief Obatemi Awolowo, the Nigerian elder Statesman who died in May 1987.



The Hall Warden :
The Hall Warden is also appointed by the Vice-Chancellor, on the advice of the Hall Master, from among the Senior academic and administrative ranks, usually for a period of 3 years, renewable for another 3 years after. The Warden, with usually two or three Assistant Wardens, is responsible for the general administration of the Hall, including general student welfare, staff matters, finance, allocation of rooms, etc. In the absence of the Master, the Hall Warden takes the Chair at meetings of the Hall Management Committee

The Student Welfare Board :
The Student Welfare Board, a staff/student Board of Senate, is responsible for the organization, supervision and control of the life in halls of residence and the general welfare of students.

Hall Management Committees :
Each Hall of Residence has a Management Committee which is responsible for matters of general policy for the social, athletic and intellectual activities of the Hall. The Management Committee is given powers to arrange its own social, cultural, or intellectual activities designed to preserve, develop and enrich the traditions of the Hall and to make life in the Hall generally interesting and worth-while.

The Management Committee consists of the Hall Master (as Chairman), the Wardens and Assistant Wardens, the Domestic Wardens and elected student members of the Hall. The Management Committee is required to meet once a month, to keep proper records of its business, and may make recommendations to the Student Welfare Board concerning student welfare.

The Hall Master :
The immediate supervision and administration of the life and activities of each Hall is the responsibility of a Hall Master and a Hall Warden. The Hall Master is appointed by the Vice-Chancellor normally from among the professors, usually for a three-year period renewable once for only two years immediately thereafter. The Master is the executive head of the Hall, responsible for the direction of the affairs of the Hall and for all matters of discipline therein. The Hall Master is the Chairman of the Hall Management Committee.

Designs :
The designs of the halls are deliberately not identical. For example, the older halls, Mellanby, Tedder, Kuti, Sultan Bcllo and Queen Elizabeth halls, were designed by Maxwell Fry and Jane Drew, who were themselves awarded honorary degrees of this University in 1965 in appreciation of their contributions to the physical development of the University. Alexander Brown Hall was designed by Messrs Watkins Gray and Partners, as a part of the overall design of the University College Hospital Complex. The two larger halls, Independence and Nnamdi Azikiwe Halls, were designed by Messrs Design Group (Nigeria) Ltd., while Tafawa Balewa Hall and Idia Hall were designed by Messrs Aderele, Omisore, Adebanjo Associates. Obafemi Awolowo Hall was however designed by Messrs Allied Architects in 1974.